Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Think Your Geek is Showing

This will be quick because I have to leave for a work trip.

      I went to the midnight showing of The Avengers. It was AWESOME. Everyone got a free comic book from the local comic shop and there was a raffle for a few other items. I really really wanted an Iron Man comic that was a raffle but I didn't win anything. The movie was so good though that I completely forgot about not winning. My favorite quote now (that keeps popping in my head) is from Tony Stark talking about Agent Coleson, "Phil? His first name's Agent."
      Yesterday was Free Comic Book Day and I had to pick up balloons for my mom and brother's graduation party so I made an unscheduled stop at the comic shop. It was so crowded there were lines to the wall where the free comics were (on a normal day, there might be a total of 3-4 customers in there). Out of all the free comics, there were only a couple that were actually worth reading. I think this just depends on my preference but I really only enjoyed reading a few out of the giant stack of free comics. I'm also disappointed that the Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics are taking an entirely different direction from the television series. The comics now have parts that take place in space fighting aliens. A vampire slayer should not be fighting aliens in space, she should stick to killing vampires and demons on Earth. You don't see Sam and Dean in Supernatural flying out to space to fight aliens.
      Yesterday we had a graduation party for my mom and my brother. My mom graduated from a two year college and my brother graduated from a four year college. The day party was filled with raunchy sex jokes from some of my mom's friends while the after-party had a bonfire  encompassed by my brother's drunk friends. I actually ended up drinking 6 Seagrams and 1 Mike's Hard Lemonade. This was only the second time in my entire life that I have been drunk (the first time was on Saint Patrick's Day in Daytona Beach over Spring Break). I don't usually get hangovers but end up with an aching body and over tiredness (which is how I feel today).
      Now about the trip for work. I am usually scheduled to work only 3-4 days a week. Yesterday during the party I got a call from a guy at work asking if I wanted to be put up in a hotel to work for a week at a site that's a couple hours away. I agreed because I need the money and I usually don't get that many chances to work extra days. It will take me about three hours to get to the middle of a national forest where I will have no cell service. I will be working days all week, staying in a hotel room, and getting paid to eat. It will be like a short vacation where I have to sit twelve hours in my car, reading or watching a movie while I make sure no one tries to steal or vandalise anything. I'm a little nervous but it's mixed with a little excitement too.
     
I'm not sure if I will have internet at the hotel or not so this may be my last post for a week.

Song of the day: Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC

Movie of the day: The Avengers

No comments:

Post a Comment