Thursday, November 9, 2017

Life Will Pass You By Before You Know It

Well dang, November is already here and the end of this year is fast approaching. This year I've been able to see just how much I have grown as a person. I've been keeping a journal of all the important moments in my life this year and I think it was one of my better decisions if for no other reason than it lets me get you, my readers, up to date on everything that has happened this year.

   To start off, my partner at work caught pnemonia and had to miss almost a month's time off. To fill his position, I worked continuously. I think it ended up being 21 days straight before I had a day off. By day 22, I was just in a rhythm... an exhausted, completely run down, zombie-like rhythm but a rhythm none the less. I didn't mind so much because the overtime pay was crazy good and by the end of the month, I was able to build my own custom gaming and editing pc.

   I am fully in love with JARVIS, my new pc. I personally picked each individual part on him from the processor down to the case and I love him. Of course I had to give it a name after it was built and whom better to name it after than Tony Stark's personal AI? I filmed the entire process and put it up on my Youtube channel, you can see it here where I list each individual part I used.Unbeknownst to myself, I missed one tiny detail that came back to haunt me 8 months later. In the middle of October I had the computer wake up from sleep mode and I went to get a drink. As soon as I came back in the room to see if it was ready, I watched in horror as it completely shut down. It could not be restarted and it wasn't making a sound when I tried the power button. I instantly started freaking out worrying that the motherboard had fried taking the processor with it. After looking online, I found that the most prevalent issue could be the power supply. No worries, I had one at my mom's house that I had bought when it was on sale to keep a spare. I rushed over to her house in the middle of the night like a lunatic, grabbed the power supply and my computer tools, and rushed home. After taking the computer apart and installing the new power supply, I crossed my fingers and tried the power button again. Nothing. I looked online and found a way to test the power supplies to know if both were bad (spoiler alert: they were both fine). I knew in that moment that the motherboard had fried so I got on Amazon and had a new one shipped to me with Prime's 2 day shipping. When it got here, I took the computer apart again and replace the old motherboard with the new. Resetting everything, I once again tried the power button full of excitement because I was sure this would fix it. Nothing. My hopes and dreams dashed in silence as not a light or a fan ever flickered to life. My despair was quickly filled with anger and I tore the computer apart one final time to put the old motherboard back in. After quite a few curse words were exchanged between me and JARVIS (okay, okay exclusively by me) I decided that I was done with the darn thing and I would just have to take it somewhere to have an expert look at it. I put the entire computer back together and as I placed the new motherboard back in it's box, I just happened to notice the tiny screw holes. I remembered exactly how many screws I had removed from the old motherboard when I took it out and that number mysteriously did not match the number of holes I was seeing on this brand-new-but-exactly-the-same motherboard. I recounted the screw holes on the old motherboard - sure enough, my old motherboard was missing one little screw. When I first purchased the motherboard, it had only come with 5 screws so in my haste, I had only counted 5 holes when I did the initial install. When the new motherboard came, it had come with 6 screws but I didn't take them out of the bag since the original screws would still work. Turns out missing one screw causes a short between the motherboard and the pegs that it sits on in the case. It just so happens that it took 8 months for me to move the computer around enough for the short to occur. All of my panic and angry words at poor JARVIS were caused by one little screw smaller than my fingernail. Let's just say I learned a valuable and expensive lesson: make sure you count everything, compare it to the instructions, and then compare it to the actual device being assembled. It will save so so much anxiety, stress, and money.


   Now I haven't caught you up on everything but I just wanted to mention that the plan for this weekend is to go down to Charleston, SC for Yallfest, a young adult book convention that is supposed to be the second largest book convention on the east coast (behind the one in New York City). I am super excited and can't wait to see all of the books. Yes I will enjoy meeting some authors but my true love will be seeing all the books EVERYWHERE. This festival literally takes over downtown Charleston with poeple from all ages standing in exhaustively long lines to meet authors and booktubers (Youtubers who talk about books). I've been trying to move away from comic book conventions and I just happened upon finding this one. I don't live too far from Charleston so I just couldn't resist. I've only purchased two books specifically to have them signed; I am bringing a few that I already own but these two I picked out because I really wanted to meet their authors. The best thing about it is the festival is free and open to the public. You only have to pay for the keynote speakers if you want to go see them and Cassandra Claire is the only author you have to pay to get her signature (she is requesting that you pre-order or order specific books in order for her to sign anything). I didn't mind her Shadowhunter series but I'm not going to spend money on her signature when I never finished her series because I got bored with it (I think I only got to the first 4 books in her first series).


Song of the Day:
Barbies by P!nk

Movie of the Day:
Spiderman Homecoming



No comments:

Post a Comment