Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And so the battle begins...

      I posted my short story titled Countdown today under the Written Works page. I encourage you all to check it out and let me know what you think. I've decided before I start such a daunting task as writing a novel, I really need to practice my skills more. Hence the short story. Most of the story is vague but it is for a reason, really. I am considering turning it into a longer story later and I wanted to save a lot of the details for later. The story is about a man rushing through New York City on New Year's Eve to stop an immediate threat. Without going into details, I think this would make a very interesting story to expand upon so I've posted it here to see what others think (and to see if my writing style is any good).
      Today I have to drive 60 miles to a site to work security at a site. Usually I would not complain because I love to drive but I don't get paid for the mileage, gas, or time it takes me to get out there. I think it would even be better I worked the day shift because I wouldn't be as tired coming home in the morning. The good thing is that I have tomorrow off so if I need to pull over and sleep on the way home, I won't have to rush back to go to work again.
      I went out to dinner with my parents, my brother, and my brother's pregnant girlfriend last night. We went to Crackle Barrel which was the first time I had ever been there. I thought it was really nice. I had lemon peppered rainbow trout and it was delicious. It came with three sides and a biscuit all for under $10. I was amazed at how much food you got with so little a price - you can't get that at a fast food place. Overall I had fun and I recommend the restaurant to everyone.
      While I waited for my parents to get to the restaurant, I went over to the shop next door, Jo Ann Fabrics. I found this cool flannel with skaters and peace signs on it. It was on sale for $2.99 a yard down from $6.99 so I got two separate one yard sections. I've been thinking of making pillows out of it but the last time I made a pillow was nine or ten years ago when I was a freshman in high school. Probably Friday I will go back and get a cheap sewing machine and some scrap clothes to practice on before I get too carried away. My crafty ambitions always come up short though. I first wanted to learn how to knit so I did and I made an odd shaped baby blanket for my brother's baby. I started to make a hat and I've already gotten board with it. I'm hoping that the plethora of stuff you can learn to sew will be enough to keep my short attention span focused.
   
Movie of the day: Journey to the Center of the Earth



Song of the day: Rain by Creed

No comments:

Post a Comment