Thursday, April 5, 2012

Of A Generation

   Hello all and sorry for my lapse in writing. I lost the urge to write for a while and have only just rediscovered its lure. I have been working for my new job at a security company contracted out to work for gas companies. We make sure that the sites are secure and safe while they drill for natural gas. I will say that I was unsure of the 'frac' process and the dangers it could possess to the community and the environment before I was hired but after I became more education on the subject I really learned the immensity of the safety precautions companies like Shell have in place to protect the community and the environment as well as its workers. I don't find the process as dangerous as I once did because I know more about it and I think this is true for many people. I think the majority of people against fracking don't really understand the process and have no idea of the ways companies are protecting people from the potential dangers. Someone really can't complain that their water is contaminated if it was already found to be contaminated 50 years ago when fracking wasn't even in the area. (On a side note, I found the use of the word frac to be hilarious in this industry because it was used in place of a curse word on the popular television series Battlestar Galactica [spelled frak]).
   April 1st or April Fools Day if you prefer was the first day of trout and salmon fishing in NY State (and also Fred and George Weasley's Birthday!). I had to work so I went Monday morning. I froze my behind off (almost literally). My fingers were so frozen they felt like they were on fire and I still didn't catch anything. I adopted a dog from the local Humane Society. She is a 7 year old pitbull named Lilly (like Lilly Potter from the Harry Potter series). She loves to play and cuddle.
   At work, I have a lot of down time. My superiors tell us that we can do anything we want to keep us awake as long as we don't fall asleep on the job. To keep myself awake, I've been reading the Harry Potter books by JK Rowling. I read all 7 books in 7 days and watched all 8 movies in a day and a half. This has hardly held me over at work because I am now reading the books again and will probably watch the movies again as well. I grew up on these books. I was in 6th grade when I read the first one and I had to catch up but I was one who waited for each new book to come out at Borders or Barnes and Nobles. I went to the midnight showing of all but the first two movies and I cried when the credits rolled for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I think this series of books helped raise one of the most knowledgeable, caring, thoughtful kids of a generation and I am saddened to know that kids today don't have the morals and anticipation that the Harry Potter Series brought out in us. When I actually think about what kids these days have to look forward to (Twilight, the Hunger Games, etc) I am actually fearful because these books cannot compare to the HP books. One of my favorite things I found online was this quote, "Twilight has Forks but Harry Potter has a theme park in Orlando." (I sooooo want to go to The Wonderful World of Harry Potter).

   I've also started making videos on Youtube again now that I have the time. I am getting better at using my Sony Vegas which is allowing better quality videos (even though my personal appearance needs a better quality still). I've been doing a lot of stuff online to pass my time and I found a site called Stealth Operatives which is a rpg sort of like Mob Wars except you are a spy and you fight the bad guys. I am also waiting for Pottermore to open up. The website says it will be open the beginning of April (I think they need to hurry up). I was hoping it would be a mmorpg like Lord of the Rings online or World of Warcraft but I think it's just going to be a forum/reading type of thing which is still cool just not amazingly cool.
   I was also watching a new series called the River on ABC. I found it because Bruce Greenwood is in it and I really like him as an actor. It mixes the action horror genre very well and it is a nice escape to lose myself in. It is also a relief that new shows can be made well considering shows that I use to watch like Eureka and One Tree Hill are in their final seasons. I know Grey's Anatomy and NCIS will probably be packing in withing the next few years as well just because they have been around so long (because they're AWESOME).
   I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can start up my outdoor activities again. I found some trails in my area I want to hike and my tent is still ready for camping. I am excited now because I found that Letchworth State Park in New York is only $20 to camp at night and that park is beautiful in the summer. I will have to let Lilly get a little practice before we tackle anything too difficult but I am excited anyway.
 
   With that, I will leave you (sorry it was so long today - lots on my mind)

Song of the Day: 9 Crimes - Damien Rice
Movie of the Day: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment